Sunday 21 April 2013

Bookworm: Beauty Queens

Hey there!
Booktime!

So I discovered this book from a magazine review. The description was quite vague, but just the title "Beauty Queens" made me head off to the local library to pick it. And I must say, it was not at all what I expected! My initial thoughts were something along the lines of a bunch of beauty pageant queen deserted on a island, where they must face their fears- broken nails, chapped lips and what-not. When I think about that I sometimes wonder why I borrowed the book in the first place. Beauty Queens take the concept of Beauty Pageants further, make the book funny yet true. The stranded girls start to understand who they are other than girls who compete for a crown- they are survivors, each of them winners, and most of all people, not things who wave and smile. As the audience, we start to understand that the life of a beauty queen isn't all glamour, but more- these girls have their own problems underneath their exfoliated., moisturized skin.

All in all, this book is amazing and hilarious! A break from all those serious book and a must read for anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment